Sunday, May 13, 2007

It fit when I was a kid.



I don't really know much about Liars, apart from that many heralded last years Drum's not Dead as one of their albums of the year. Having only heard bits and pieces of their back catalogue I came to the conclusion that they had a pretty uncompromising sound, bass-heavy, full of drums and low vocals.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, Tori presented me with a Liars remix she had come across by Toronto's Crystal Castles, whom we both adore. The remix was of a track off of DnD, 'It fit when I was a kid', one which I hadn't previously heard. I find that listening to a remix prior to the original mix will always taint my mind, so that when I do eventually hear the original mix it becomes less accessible than if it was heard first (example: Diplo's mix of Yeah Yeah Yeahs' 'Gold Lion' will always be favoured over the album version). Well, anyway, after a couple of weeks listening to CC's interpretation, all 8-bit blippery, haunting echo-harmonies and resonant pianos, I decided it was time to listen to the track how Liars had intended it to be heard. And I was surprised. Unlike CC's mix, the Liars original felt much more cold and empty. Yet whilst that description may not sound like a complement, it should be read as one. It isn't until about the 2 minute mark until the elements which are distinctive to the Crystal Castle remix come in; the ambient piano chords and nursery-rhyme-esque vocals. It certainly was more than I expected, and has made me seriously reconsider listening to Liars more intently, especially their last album. Hear for yourself.

Liars Drum's Not Dead is available on Mute.
Crystal Castles will release the Untrust Us EP on Summer Lovers Unlimited in the not too distant future.

mp3: Liars - It fit when I was a kid
mp3: Liars - It fit when I was a kid (Crystal Castles remix)

No comments: