Thursday, May 10, 2007

At Yo Majesty's pleasure.

Sometimes I come across something which makes me realise the world is a good place. Like kittens. They are fantastic. Or like the time I was waiting for Tori in Primark and I saw a man play a game called 'Gong' with his son, the rules of which only they understood and would be impossible for on outsider of the family circle to grasp.



Anyway, I digress (slightly). Yo Majesty are one such example of why the world is still okay. 3 girls who perform uplifting and fun hip hop who write songs about kryptonite pussies ('Kryptonite Pussy'). Dressed in mega-baggy t-shirts and baseball caps, they look like the nineties forgot about them and no-one told them that to get big in the rap game you have to be covered in bling and have been shot at least 4 times. "Fuck that shit!" shouts the collective voice of Yo Majesty. 'Club Action' is the track that has impressed me most (plus it gained me a dirty look from a flat mate), a blast of dope rhymes (not sure if I can pull off that kind of slang?) about jumping around pissed up in a club, putting your hands up if you want to get rich. Genius.

Their first release, the Yo EP, is available on Out There recordings.

mp3: Yo Majesty - Club Action
mp3: Yo Majesty - Kryptonite Pussy

No comments: