Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Thinking about life.

I was just looking out of the window and I realised how perfect the colour of the sky actually is. My PC is set up in front of my bedroom window so as I sit typing I can watch the sky change and trace the clouds move across it. Since I cut down the conifer in March I've been able to see more of it (which is great) and I was just thinking how huge the sky actually is. There are hardly any clouds, and what clouds there are seem so far away and small, hanging there in an expanse of blue. It's so different than winter sky, when it seems to shrink and clouds loom really close down, making everything seem a little bit claustrophobic. Anyway, am I getting a bit deep? Maybe, I don't know. Today has been a bit of a strange day, and it had made me just think a bit too much.

On the subject of thinking about life, here's a band I stumbled over towards the end of last year, Montreal's Think About Life. I remember first hearing 'What the Future Might Be' and being enthralled. Their sound is hard to pin-point, as the band themselves concur in their biography on the Alien8 website:
"The sounds range from manic to troubled to tender to silly, exploding every emotion at once into a thousand pieces at the bottom of a canyon. TAL reassembles this raw material into a worldview rooted in thunder-storms, roller-coasters, clowns, sea-beasts, romance, fireworks, massive sphinxes, basketball championships, chivalric knighthoods, snowmen, children, videos, hamlets, and sunglasses."
Quite an interesting mix of influences I'm sure you will agree. The band is the resulting work of multi-instrumentalist and key figure on the Montreal scene, Graham Van Pelt who, joined by the Donkey Heart Quartet's Martin Cesar on vocals, and Matt Shane on programming and drum duties (and also responsible for all the TAL artwork, whic is amazing), have together created an album that is both fun and refreshing, danceable and heartfelt.

A new song can be heard on their myspace page, which is strangely reminiscent of Modest Mouse, and with a new EP due out in the summer, it would seem that the sky's the limit for the boys. Check out 'What the Future Might Be' and another highlight from the record, 'Money' below.

Think About Life's self-titled debut is available now on Alien8 recordings.

mp3:
Think About Life - What The Future Might Be

mp3:
Think About Life - Money

No comments: