Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Kate Nash is a victim.



"A victim of what?" I hear you shout.

Well, I was listening to the radio the other morning in the car and I heard a certain radio presenter compare Kate Nash to Lily Allen (yes, fair enough), Amy Winehouse (ermm..) and Sandy Thom (WTF!?). I know they are only doing their job and trying to broaden peoples musical knowledge/interest, but I thought that was a terrible comparison to make. Comparing 'Foundations' to 'I wish I was a Punk-rocker' is like comparing Fugazi to Busted. Well, maybe that's going too far, but I was annoyed at this.

19 year old Nash is from London and after releasing only a couple of singles she has kicked up quite a storm. Whilst many have compared her to Allen, she has more in common with another London singer-songwriter, Jamie T. Current single 'Foundations' tells the tale of a relationship which has turned sour, but in which the lover doesn't want to let go of what she has regardless. It's sweet and heartfelt, and certainly going to be one of the hits at festivals which Nash is playing a plenty. Also, as a little bonus here's 'Birds', the b-side from 'Caroline's a Victim', her limited debut single on Moshi Moshi, of which there are 1000 copies on 7" vinyl only. This was one of the first tracks I'd heard by her and I remember that Tori thought it was funny when I sang it. I could add 'Caroline's a Victim'... well I don't know, hit me up if you haven't heard it, it's a clasic.

The single, 'Foundations', is available now on Fiction records, and her album is expected for release in September.

mp3: Kate Nash - Foundations
mp3: Kate Nash - Birds

No comments: