Monday, June 04, 2007

The Little Ones uncovered.



I've known of the Little Ones for awhile, Bay Radio having been sent several singles and their ep during the year, however I never really gave the Californian 5-piece a chance. This changed the other day upon hearing their latest single 'Lovers Who Uncover' from their Sing Song EP, and I must admit I fell in love with it. The track sounds really sad, a lamentation of love, all delayed guitars, pulsing bass and drifting keyboards. They kinda make me think of the Maccabees, but put through an American filter. I think it's something to do with that 'sad' sound that makes you want to sigh and watch clouds drift past your window. Simply put, it's beautiful, and I am pretty sure it's going to be one of my songs of the summer, and most likely the year. The video, directed by Terri Timely is also well worth checking out, if only to see the band performing in a shipping container.



Having been listening to the track I've remembered that this isn't my first encounter with this track, and that I had come accross a remix back in February. In what's becoming a reoccuring theme in my posts, I've included the Crystal Castles remix which I had not been to excited by when I first heard it. However, now having heard the Little Ones original, and having listened to the remix a few times I would class it as a bit of a grower. It's not on the same level as that Liars remix posted a few weeks ago: all trademark CC 8-bit flourishes and driving synths, but its a good listen for anyone who likes either bands.

The Little Ones Sing Song EP is available now on Astralwerks.

mp3: The Little Ones - Lovers Who Uncover

mp3: The Little Ones - Lovers Who Uncover (Crystal Castles remix)

No comments: