Thursday, June 14, 2007

Commercial breakdown #1: Dogs Die in Hot Cars

I was thinking earlier about how that every now and again there is an advert on TV, and I'll be sitting there thinking "I know this tune...". Well, welcome to the first commercial break. Basically it's a means for me to post some stuff I wouldnt normally post, and say a little about it.

First up is the now sadly defunkt Dogs Die in Hot Cars. The group only released one album, an ep and several singles in their short career, but albeit a brief stint in the spotlight, one of their unlikeliest tracks has become unknowingly their most well know by accompanying the commercials for popular high street chemist, Boots. Taken from the Man Bites Man EP, 'Nobody Teaches Life Anything' was always one of my favourite DDiHC tracks despite being just over a minute long and instrumental. I can remember the first time I heard Boots use the track several years back, which has since been re-recorded by unknown forces (perhaps the band??) into different variations depending on season, such as the Christmassy version which accompanied the 3 for 2 promotions.

I realise some people may find it rather sad that I have taken so much notice of the Boots adverts, but it's a great little piece of music. For those of you interested in Dogs Die in Hot Cars I highly recommend their LP, Please Describe Yourself, which is unashamedly packed with indie pop gems, such as 'I Love You 'Cause I Have To' and the amazing 'Pastimes & Lifestyles', which I have included below.


Dogs Die in Hot Cars' Please Describe Yourself is available on V2 records.

mp3: Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Nobody Teaches Life Anything
mp3: Dogs Die in Hot Cars - I Love You 'Cause I Have To

mp3: Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Pastimes and Lifestyles (EP version)

No comments: